Using MyCourses for Electronic examinations
During the time of remote teaching and learning, exams can be excecuted in MyCourses course workspace, with Quiz (or assignment / Turnitin) activity.
If exam is part of a course and course has MyCourses space, teacher can use MyCourses course workspace and create a quiz or an assignment.
In case there is no workspace for a course, teacher can request an exam workspace:
In the exam workspace, you´ll have a ready made start for a quiz with some instructions. You get an enrolment key to be shared to students for the exam workspace.
Teachers get the enrolled students list with email addresses from Oodi.
Videos to support in remote teaching and examination: LES Webinars
Guidelines for electronic examinations: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/digital-assessment
Aalto news: https://www.aalto.fi/en/news/how-to-organise-online-exams-in-mycourses
MyCourses Quiz activity as an exam
Quiz is an activity with 18 different question types, including multiple choice, essay, short answer, Stack for matematics. Questions and choices can be shuffled.
Note! When using quiz as an exam:
- add opening and closing times to quiz. You can also use "time limit".
- use deferred feedback
- use "open attempts are submitted automatically" when time expires!
- do not give right answers before the quiz is closed
- one attempt only.
Granting time extension for specific students or groups: Open quiz → Clickhttps://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Quiz_settings#Group_and_User_overrides→ Group / User overrides. More information:
Quizzes in general: Quizzes
Example quizzes in MyCourses: https://mycourses.aalto.fi/course/view.php?id=11864
Tutorial for using MyCourses in electronic assignments (in Finnish) made by Panu Erästö and Jan-Mikael Rybicki): Tutoriaali MyCoursesin (Moodlen) sähköisiin harjoituksiin
MyCourses Assignment activity as an exam
Assignment can be used as a time-limited "open book" exam.
- Tasks and questions should require students to apply the knowledge they have acquired.
- In time settings, enable Allow submissons from date to start the exam, and Cut off date to end the exam. Late submissions are not possible then.
- Write your task in a description field. Note" Do not tick the Display description on course page. This way, students will see the task description only when the exam starts. Or, you can add your task descripition as an "additional file".
- Submissions can be files or online text.
- Granting extension (=more time) for specific students: Open Assignment → View all submission → Find the row for the student who needs the extension → Edit → Grant extension
Assigments in general: Assignments
MyCourses Turnitin activity as an exam
Turnitin can also be used as an exam, with time limitations, when you need to do the originality checking or annotate on picture files.
Teams video calls as an oral exam, remote proctored exams via Teams video calls
You can use Teams video calls for oral exams in one-to-one sessions. Notice: when proctoring exam with Teams do not record the exam session. Exam recordings are confidential material and they need to be handled with exact protocol. Teacher can take own notes during the exam session.
Teacher should ask permissions for videoconnection in advance and ask if there is anyone who does not have laptop with microphone, webcamera and internet connection available during the exam. We suggest teachers to use Choice tool in MyCourses for asking permission and details, answers will be shown in MyCourses.
Do not record exam sessions, take own notes (=exam diary: when exam starts, when student can leave, when exam ends and notes for possible inappropriate behaviour).
Guidance for remote proctored exams: Etävalvottu tentti/Remote proctored exam.
Other resources for exams
Digital assessment toolbox: MyCourses tools for assessing learning (in Finnish, English version coming soon)
Opettajan ohjeet: Safe exam browser avusteinen MyCourses quiz Bring your own device tentti tenttisalissa. (DO NOT USE during remote teaching period)
Using Exam for Electronic examinations
Exam instructions for teachers and students (Examrooms are closed 16.3-13.5.2020, do not use EXAM)