With assignment activity, students can submit essays, documents, learning diaries etc as files. Even video files are accepted.
- Teacher can grade and give individual feedback on assignments.
- Submission are visible to teachers only; (for peer feedback, use Forum or Workshop or other collaboration tools)
- Also group submissions are possible, when groups are created.
Note! You have to use separate assignment activities for individual and group assignments.
Note! if you want to publish students´ submissions to other course students, restrict access to course students only. Do not publish without permission.
Tips for grading and giving feedback in an Assignment
To support "process writing"; students submit a version, get feedback, revise and edit: Allow another attempt' versions + feedback saved into the submission history
- To give structured feedback easy and fast, use Rubric. → In Assignment settings, choose Grading method → Rubric and create a grading table.
More info: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Rubrics
- To publish grades to all students simultaneously, use Marking workflow. → In Assignment settings, click Grade → Use marking workflow → yes.
More info: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Assignment_settings#Use_marking_.28grading.29_workflow
- To allocate students´submissions to teachers, use Marking allocation. → In Assignment settings, click Grade → Use marking allocation → yes.
More info: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Assignment_settings#Use_marking_allocation
Video: how to create a marking guide and a rubyrik in an assignment
To set up an assignment, click Turn editing on → click Add an activity or resource → Assignment.
- Give a good name to your assignment and a description, what students should do and how. You can also add files.
- Due date shows in course calendar. Late submissions are possible.
- after the cut of date submission is no longer possible.
- Students can submit files or editor text (or both). Number of files or words can be limited.
- You can also restrict submission to certain file types.
- You can give individual text feedback or give your cfeedback with a file. .
- You can create a rubyrick (advanced grading method).
Group submission settings
- submission and grading only once for the small group.
- Groups must be created first, also, use grouping. More info: Groups and groupings
Common module settings
Grading and giving feedback on assignments
See a short Panopto video on how to grade and give feedback in MyCourses:
- marking guide
How to give grades at the same time / simultaneously
a. hide activity column in grader report OR
b. use workflow in assignment settings
How to use quick grading
How to use feedback files
How to use rubyrick (grading table)
Error in a group assignment?
In a group assignment, you can get an error info:
"The setting 'Require group to make submission' is enabled and some users are either not a member of any group, or are a member of more than one group, so are unable to make submission."
In most cases, this error is because you have Oodi based groups and your own groups not separated in your workspace. You should separate (or “bundle up”) your groups with a grouping, and then in an assignment use your grouping (your set of groups). Also, check that all the students are member of some group.
What to do:
click Participants -> click the gear -> click Groups. Open Groupings -tab. Create a Grouping (= give a name to your set of groups, eg “Laboratory groups”). After that, populate the grouping with your groups (like you populated groups with people).
2. Open assignment settings. Choose Group submission settings -> Grouping for student groups → choose a grouping.
How to: moodle.org