Panopto EULA (End User Licensing Agreement and Consent)
Table of Contents
- Supporting Policies, Standards and Procedures
- Terms of this EULA & Consent
- Duty to inform Attendees
- Further information
- 1. Purpose
The recording of lectures provides Aalto University and it’s lecturing staff with a very useful learning resource and enables students to access content on demand. This has obvious advantages for distance learning, revision, and re-use of materials. With corresponding advances in technology, this practice is becoming increasingly popular and necessary with several hundreds of hours of lectures now being stored on University’s Panopto servers.
The purpose of this End User Licensing Agreement and Consent document* is to formalize a framework between the University and its Lecturers, that will allow this service to evolve, while protecting the rights of all involved.
*Hereafter collectively referred to as “EULA & Consent”
- 2. Storage and Security
Due to the complexity of the infrastructure required to future proof and support the storage and management of the vast amounts of data created while recording these lectures, it has become necessary to host the storage of this data off-site. The third party vendor, supplying this service complies with the University’s policy on externally hosted personal data.
The third-party vendor that would be hosting the video material is Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS is compliant with various certifications and third-party attestations:
- AWS has been independently validated to comply with the PCI Data Security Standard as a shared host service provider.
- AWS has achieved ISO 27001 certification of the Information Security Management System (ISMS) covering infrastructure, data centres, and services.
- AWS enables government agency customers to achieve and sustain compliance with the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA). AWS has been awarded an approval to operate at the FISMA Low level. It has also completed the control implementation and successfully passed the independent security testing and evaluation required to operate at the FISMA-Moderate level. AWS is currently pursuing an approval to operate at the FISMA-Moderate level from government agencies.
Panopto Components Security
The Panopto components listed in this document also have multiple levels of security. You can view a whitepaper for each component at the links listed below.
Panopto Component Whitepaper Link
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/2008-r2-overview.aspx
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15220
Smooth Stream http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17678
IIS 7 http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/110/changes-in-security-between-iis-60-and-iis-7-and-above/
.Net 3.5 Framework http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20970
.Net 4.0 Framework http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/aspnet4
- 3. Scope
This end user licencing agreement and consent document governs the recording of lectures and applies to all persons organising, giving or attending the lecture.
For the purposes of this Licencing agreement:
- Staff means all full-time and part-time employees of the University.
- External Parties means all the University’s subsidiary companies, contractors, researchers, visitors and/or any other parties who are granted access to the University’s IT Resources and/or University social media sites/discussion forums on third party platforms.
(Hereafter collectively referred to as “Users”)
- 4. Supporting Policies, Standards and Procedures
The Policy should be read in conjunction with the following University policies and legislation and Users should ensure compliance with these policies and legislation in addition to this EULA.
Personal Data Policy of Aalto University available at
- Software and text, images, audio and video are covered by the Copyright Act , more information http://copyright.aalto.fi/en/
- Data Protection Legislation in Finland http://www.tietosuoja.fi/en/index/rekisterinpitajalle.html
- 5. Terms of this EULA & Consent.
All Staff will be required to confirm their acceptance of the terms of this End User Licencing Agreement and Consent document and tick the appropriate box to accept this EULA & consent agreement.
Acceptance this EULA & consent doc indicates your acceptance of Aalto University´s intention to record and store off site personal information including but not limited to complete Lectures and to the use of the material for the purpose of its business as a University.
The purpose of any such audio-visual recording is to allow the University to make the recording available, on a controlled basis, to staff and students as a learning resource.
Subject to the right of academic freedom of speech on campus should be conducted in a manner which is consistent with the terms of the AUP. In particular, lectures may not be used:
- to distribute inappropriate material including material that is pornographic, offensive, obscene, abusive, racist, libellous, defamatory or threatening;
- for any purpose which is illegal or likely to breach applicable laws;
- as a forum to promote commercial objectives or activities which are unconnected with those of the University; or
- to distribute material which is confidential or proprietary to any third party or which otherwise infringes the intellectual property or data protection rights of any third party.
- 6. Duty to inform Attendees
Attendees should be reminded that the terms of this EULA & Consent apply and should be advised how they can avoid appearing in the recording if they so desire. This may involve sitting in non-recorded areas and/or by avoiding participation in any interactive discussion.
Attendees should follow the specific directions given in each particular case if they do not wish to be recorded. Attendees should further note that by sitting in recorded areas and/or participating in any interactive discussions, they will be deemed as follows:
1. To have consented to the use of their personal data for the purposes outlined in this EULA & Consent;
2. To have waived any moral rights in connection with their appearance in the recording; and
3. To have assigned absolutely to the University any and all intellectual property rights in the recording.
- 7 Further Information
If you have any queries in relation to this End Users Licencing Agreement & Consent Document, please contact Learning Services:
Legal Counsel IP Maria Rehbinder, email@example.com