A Quick Guide to New Features in Aalto Wiki
Creating a space
Creating a space has changed somewhat. The place to start creating a new wikispace is still at the first page (dashboard) of Aalto Wiki :
New Space types
There are now four different wikispace types. These types are intended for different kind of collaboration.
- Blank Space - the default blank space without any ready made features
- Documentation Space - a space with ready made features for documenting
- Knowledge Space - a space for faq:s resources and best practises
- Team space - a space design for project teams and collaboration teams
If you are not sure of what you will be doing with your wikispace, or if your intended use does not fit the predesigned layouts,
it's best to start with a blank space.
The Create Button
To make it easier for you to create content, there is now a Create button in every Confluence core layout, and even on the wiki dashboard (the front page)
Create Button in the dashboard layout. It can be found in the same place in other core layouts also.
After clicking Create button you first choose the space that you want to create a space into,
after that you can choose the type of page to create. These ready made page content
types are called Blueprints. You can learn more about them from Atlassian :
The Create menu is space type aware, and shows only the types of pages you can create
into the wikispace you have chosen in Select Space - menu.
The base layouts in Aalto Wiki have changed. The new versions of layouts have some different features than the old ones.
The Global Layout
This is the default layout that is created for every wiki space in Aalto Wiki. There are some changes to global theme :
- The Create button is present in the upper navigation banner. In this context the Create button defaults to creating new pages for the current wiki space
- The Sidebar. The Sidebar is a new feature, it can be modified from Configure Sidebar - menu. The sidebar can be modified to contain automatic links, manually inputted links etc.
- Space Tools -menu is now present in the lower left hand corner of the sidebar. From here you can access all the Space admin menus you are familiar with.
- Notice! The Space tools - menu only appears in the sidebar in the Global Theme!
The Space tools menu opens up into quick links to the most used configurations, such as look and feel (themes) and permissions. To access the whole admin menu, click on Overview.