- a MyCourses space (CSE-E5480 - Mobile Systems Security) for returning exercise answers and programming assignments, and
- an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channel #tkt-mobisec @ IRCnet which can be used for discussing assignments, questions on lectures etc.
The lectures are conducted on Tuesday mornings (10-12). We will attempt to stream lectures using a video conference channel from Otaniemi campus to Kumpula campus, however we cannot guarantee the availability or quality of this streaming. The lectures are held at:
|No lecture||No exercise session||-|
, due Tue 19.1
, due 25.1
, due Tue 26.1
|Initial survey topic assignments|
, due Tue 9.2 (2 weeks)
Exercise 2 solutions discussed on Thu 28.1
, due 8.2
|Survey topic assignments finalized|
No exercise session
, due Tue 23.2 (2 weeks)
No exercise session
Optional Q&A session for Exercise 4
, due Tue 1.3
|, due 14.3 (3 weeks)|
3rd assignment solutions discussed Thu 25.2
, due Tue 15.3 (2 weeks)
L6: Recent research and summary on Thu 17.3
|Extra lecture: slides1, slides2, recording)Security (||-|
Survey due Sun 10.4
Homework and evaluation
- Written weekly exercises reflect on and extend the topics covered in each lecture (estimated time use: ca. 35 hours total, or roughly 6 hours /week, per exercise set, + attendance).
- Published on Tuesdays, based on the lecture and have deadline on the next Tuesday (at 23:55); returns in writing .
- Exercises are graded 0 (not done or very poor) - 5 (great).
- Students are required to participate in Thursday sessions during which the solutions to the exercises are discussed. Attendance in 80% of the exercise sessions is mandatory to pass the course.
- Programming assignments.
- Sign-up for programming assignments in mail confirming participation, limited spots available (first-come, first-served).
- 1+3 assignments over weeks 2-10, programming in Android development environment (free to download, no specialized devices required)
- Will be briefed during the exercise session on Thursday, January 14.
- First assignment not graded, but completing first assignment is required to continue with the programming assignments. Remaining assignments graded 0-5.
- Participants failing to complete first assignment will be assigned a written survey topics (see below).
- Deadline for initial assignment will be Monday January 25 at 23:55, deadline for the remaining assignments will be Monday at 23:55 two weeks after publication.
- Returns in one file package .
- Written survey of topic related to systems security.
- Survey topics published on first week of course.
- All participants will apply for three topics of interest to them during the exercise session on Thursday, January 14.
- Where possible, surveys topics will be assigned on Thursday, January 21 and survey topic assignments will be finalized by Thursday, January 28.
- Graded 0-5,
- Deadline for draft of survey will be Sunday, March 6 at 23:55, deadline for final version will be Sunday, April 10 at 23:55 (submit your survey).
- Returns in writing .
Requirements for completing the course
To complete the course you must:
Please note that late submissions are grounds for 0 points; we recommend that you set your personal deadline a day or two earlier to have some buffer for disasters, particularly if you tend to leave work close to deadlines.
There is a supplementary course book: Mobile Platform Security by Asokan, Davi, Dmitrienko, Heuser, Kostiainen, Reshetova and Sadeghi (2013). Aalto students will have free access to the book online (PDF). For UH students, Hien has a few copies to lend for short periods (ask Hien).