Turnitin services will be mostly unavailable during a scheduled maintenance period on Saturday, September 19, 2015 from 5-9 p.m. (Finnish time).
Contact turnitin(at)aalto.fi for pedagogical and technical support:
- Ask for a 2-3 hour Turnitin training (and see MyCourses trainings and MyCourses instructions if needed)
- Request consulting for course development or thesis supervising with Turnitin
- Report technical problems
- Request a paper removal from the Turnitin student papers repository. You need to provide the paper ID to be removed.
- Ask questions or suggest improvements to these instructions.
If plagiarism is suspected, contact the investigator of your School (Head of Academic Affairs).
Turnitin informs about breaks and temporary delays via twitter.com/turnitinstatus
Turnitin 3-hour trainings in the fall 2015
Contact your teacher or supervisor in the following issues:
- features of the Turnitin submission box in your course
- interpretation of the Turnitin originality check report
- a course key for the course workspace in Moodle
Contact turnitin(at)aalto.fi in the following issues:
- Technical problems in Turnitin submission box (others than a course key)
- A request of removing your paper from the Turnitin student papers repository. You need to provide the paper ID to be removed. It can not be removed until the assignment has been graded.
- Suggestions to improve these instructions or the Turnitin service.
Student Frequently Asked Questions and Known issues
I tried to submit my paper into Turnitin submission box for the first time, but I could not proceed. What went wrong?
- When using Turnitin submission box for the first time Turnitin asks you to agree the Turnitin User Agreement in a pop-up window. If pop-ups are disabled in your browser, you can not proceed. Solution: enable pop-ups (see browser settings) or add https://www.turnitin.com to the exceptions of the blocker.
I don't manage to submit a paper without checking the consent box although the paper should not be saved in the repository. I wonder, whether my paper is saved in the Turnitin student papers repository (comparison database) or not?
- Unfortunately, the check box function contains a bug: checking the consent box is always compulsory whether the paper is saved in the repository or not. As default, papers are not saved in the repository, but a teacher can change the settings of the submission box. If there is no information about this feature in the submission box, please, ask the teacher about it.
"Exception - User not found" notification prevents me to submit the paper. What can I do?
E-mail the notification to the teacher. Teacher can fix the issue.
Why does file upload into Moodle Turnitin submission box last so long (over 2 minutes)? It seems "frozen".
Allow third party cookies or add an exception for turnitin.com in your browser (in Safari, third party cookies are blocked by default)
"Error in uploading" prevents me submitting a file. What went wrong?
Check that the file type is among the accepted ones: Check the accepted file types in Turnitin and other tips for solving the uploading error.
"There was an error trying to create the submission in Turnitin. Message: Your submission must contain 100 characters or more. | Code: 0"
There should not be more than one dot (the dot just before the file extension such as .pdf) in the file name
What if I do not give my consent to save my paper in the Turnitin student papers repository? How can I submit?
Contact your teacher or supervisor how to submit your paper. However, the teacher can check your paper with Turnitin Originality Check without saving it in the repository.
How long do I have to wait for the originality report of my paper?
- Depending on the file size of your paper and the amount of submissions into the service, generating the report takes few minutes. If you resubmit your work it will take 24 hours to receive a new report.
- You can also check twitter.com/turnitinstatus for temporary delays of breaks in the service.
My paper was saved in a repository and I want it removed.
You can send the paper ID (it is found in the submission box) and a request to remove the paper from the comparison database to email@example.com
Faculty Frequently Asked Questions and Known issues
|Issue||What kind of problems does it cause?||How to deal with the issue?|
Student's consent is required although submissions are not saved in Turnitin student papers repository (while submitting in Moodle)
Students might find it confusing that they can not submit papers without checking the consent box even if submissions are not saved in the repository.
Papers are not saved in the repository by default. If teacher changes this setting, students should be informed in Summary.
Some students get the error notification "Exception - User not found" while submitting their papers into Turnitin submission box in Moodle.
Some students can submit their papers fine, but some can not.
Teacher can enroll students manually in Submission Inbox > Enroll All Students.
|An error notification "Duplicate copies of the same Turnitin assignments were found..." appears. This happens, when a Turnitin activity (or several) has been copied or imported to this workspace or this activity has been copied to another workspace. The copied Turnitin activity is still connected to the former workspace (or activity) in Turnitin's end of service.|
The copies of the activity can not be used.
Note! There are 2 possible solutions: Create a new Turnitin activity (or several) or email a link of the course workspace to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to reset Turnitin activities.