This page lists the research topics that are currently available in the Secure Systems group or with our industry partners. Each topic can be structured either as a special assignment or as an MSc thesis depending on the interests, background and experience of the students. If you are interested in a particular topic, send e-mail to the contact person (as well as the responsible ssupervisor: N. Asokan, Tuomas Aura, Lachlan Gunn or Janne Lindqvist) listed explaining your background and interests.
All topics have one or more of the following keywords:
PLATSEC Platform Security
NETSEC Network Security
ML & SEC Machine learning and Security/Privacy
USABLE Usable security
OTHER Other security research themes
Available research topics for students in the Secure Systems Group
Research Topics with our Industry Partners
Huawei: Hardware System Engineer
Posted on June 13:
Hardware System Engineer to work with multi-functional groups to continually seek out new technologies and innovations for Huawei consumer devices.
- Support technology and product teams in design of the next-generation Huawei devices
- Scouting and insight work on new technology direction, summarize and propose winning technologies to relevant counterparts
- MSc. (or just to graduate) in Electrical/Computer Engineering
- Fluent written and spoken English, Chinese (mandarin) language skills
- Hands-on experience in prototype work and functional verification specifically with electronics
- Hands-on and proficient with lab equipment: digital multi-meter, spectrum analyzer, signal generator, oscilloscope, power supply, data logger etc.
- Prior experience with coding/scripting skills (Python, Perl, Matlab etc.)
- Strong documentation and interpersonal skills - strong technical writing
- Comfortable working in a constantly evolving environment; Confirmed ability to work independently under high pressure and dynamic environment
- Ability to seek out information in terms of technology scouting and insight work; filter relevant ideas, conclude and summarize findings in clear manner
For futher information: Hardware System Engineer - Huawei Technologies Oy (Finland) (workable.com)
Ericsson: Jorvas - Ericsson Jobs
Nokia Bell Labs: Security Research Scientists (Espoo, Munich, Murray Hill)
Posted on June 6:
We are currently hiring in Nokia Bell Labs Security Research, specifically in Espoo (Finland), Munich (Germany), and Murray Hill (New Jersey, USA), around the following topics:
- Mobile networks (2G-5G and beyond) security
- Architectural and practical security aspects of cloud-centric mobile networks deployments
- Cloud security
- Cryptography, information theory and data privacy (theory and technologies)
- Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning for security (theoretical and practical)
- Future e2e (Mobile 5G and beyond) network security M&O
- Security assurance and formal verification
The links to the adverts are (all topics are applicable to all positions):
- Espoo, Finland (and Munich, Germany) advert: Security Research Scientist - Bell Labs Core Research, Networks Systems Security Research (nokia.com)
- Munich, Germany (and Espoo, Finland) advert: Security Research Scientist - Bell Labs Core Research, Networks Systems Security Research (nokia.com)
- Murray Hill, US advert: Security Research Scientist - Bell Labs Core Research, Networks Systems Security Research (nokia.com)
Huawei: Human physiology intern for wearable health monitoring
Posted on Feb 18
Helsinki Device Concept Lab is looking for Human physiolog y intern for wearable health monitoring to help design, develop and test solutions for wearable or attachable devices.
- Literature studies in the area of human physiology, and measurements from the human body
- Providing physiology consultation to a team of electronic, mechanic, optical engineers. Particular focus on the cardiovascular system, determination of what can be measured to detect early warning signs of cardiovascular fitness issues
- Mathematical/signal processing development to convert measurement data to physiologically meaningful values
- Brainstorming testing scenarios and methods, clinical gold standard reference measurements
- MS or PhD student in Human Physiology, Anatomy, Biology or Medicine
- Detailed knowledge and interest in cardiovascular health especially relating to cardiac measurements (ECG, HR, HRV) respiratory measurements (breathing rate, blood oxygenation) and blood pressure
- Knowledge of heart functions (electr ical and mechanical) and the circulatory system
- Knowledge of biopotential measurements (ECG, EEG, EMG, EOG) and their interpretation is desirable
- Some high level knowledge and interested in measurement technologies (optical, mechanical or electrical) and/o r wearable devices is highly valued
- Strong capability to perform detailed literature studies, and make conclusions from them.
- Strong team working skills, and positive attitude are essential.
For further information: https://apply.workable.com/huawei-technologies-oy-finland/j/40FF53E6C4/
SSH Communications Security Oyj: Test Automation Trainee to join the PrivX team
Posted Jan 27
In this role you will be a part of the core PrivX testing team participating the test automation tasks as well as manual testing for the product. The test automation uses Python and Robot Framework. The PrivX team consists of developers and testers. The testing team works in close cooperation with the development team ensuring bi-directional communication. The team operates in agile software development processes.
We are looking for a person who is/has:
* relevant studies on ICT sector
* good communication skills in English
* a team player who is also able to work solo
* keen to learn new
We also value:
* programming experience on python
* experience on test automation
* experience on Linux systems
* interest in IT security
For further information: https://careers.ssh.com/jobs/80-test-automation-trainee
KONE: Summer Trainee, IoT Security
Posted Jan 11
We are now looking for a IoT Security Summer Trainee to join our Cybersecurity team in KONE Technology and Innovation unit either in Hyvinkää or Espoo, Finland. The internship is three to four months paid full-time work and the start date can be adjusted depending on your studies and preference.
We are in the process of transforming KONE onsite device security strategy towards upcoming ISO 8102-20 cybersecurity standard. For the role, this means creating supporting materials to make the transition as smooth as possible for the product development teams in the Research & Development (R&D) unit, including both KONE internal or external ones.
The selected trainee should have a fresh view on how to fulfill standard requirements while supporting agile and lean practices already in use in the R&D. This includes setting the right level of documentation, both in terms of level of detail and accessibility from the tools point of view.
We are looking for students of computer science or software engineering with special focus on cybersecurity and/or embedded systems.
The work includes both process documentation as well as guidance on technical security controls, while prior experience on the cybersecurity standards is not needed.
For further information: Summer Trainee, IoT Security (myworkdayjobs.com)
Huawei: Research Intern, Security ML & SEC
Posted Nov 25
Huawei Consumer Business Group is growing at an extremely fast pace and currently, we are now building the global ecosystem. We believe in creating a great user experience, quality products for our consumers, and generating a high level of trust and confidence in our services. We are looking for a motivated Master's student or Ph.D candidate who can contribute to our research in the area of Natural Language Processing (NLP) or AI/Machine Learning, Secure or privacy-friendly protocols, intersecting with cloud/application security or privacy.
Location: This position is located at our R&D office in Ruoholahti, Helsinki, Finland.
The ideal candidate should:
- Be a Master's student or Ph.D. candidate in computer science, maths, computational linguistics, Machine Learning & security, or related areas.
- Have course credits in AI/ML, Security, Privacy Protection.
- Familiar with Linux host and kernels, how IP networks and network protocols work, encryption protocols, and distributed systems. Hands-on experience is a big plus.
- Be excited about using AI/ML/NLP in the context of security or privacy.
- Have good software and Python programming skills.
- Good level of English.
- Be comfortable working in a multi-national/cultural environment.
Sounds like a match for your future career aspiration? Please apply.
For further information: Research Intern, Security - Huawei Technologies Oy (Finland) (workable.com)
Huawei: Cryptographic Integrity and Confidentiality in OS caching solutions PLATSEC
Posted Nov 23: Internship / M.Sc. position 2022
Integrity-protection of volatile and non-volatile memory in operating systems (storage, caching) is often performed using per-block authentication tags. Typically, these tags are written to external memory locations. In HSSL, we are currently investigating the possibility of using data compression technologies that would, in the majority of cases, allow inserting the tag directly into the memory or disk block itself. This has the potential to significantly improve memory access times where continuous integrity verification is used.
In this role, you will design and implement methods for in-situ tagging of memory and disk blocks in the Linux kernel and benchmark their performance. Depending on your interest, your work can focus on computer science, e.g., Linux kernel implementation aspects and benchmarking methodologies of in-situ integrity solutions that already are designed, or the direction can be more algorithmic / mathematical in nature, to further the existing state of the art by algorithm improvement and related analysis in performance and security domains.
In the work, the intern to HSSL will work with our experts to come up with a viable solution in the form of a prototype, conceptual demonstrator or new design. This internship can constitute a Master’s thesis work or a PhD internship. Therefore, we especially look for students who have completed all of MSc courses and are searching for an MSc thesis topic, or younger students with experience in platform security or operating systems. Like said, we explicitly like to encourage both students with an interest to further the mathematical theory, and students with experience and interest in programming and operating systems to apply. Both aspects are important in this project, and the exact contents of the internship can be tailored to the student’s experience and interest.
We are looking for:
- Students who have completed most of their M.Sc. Courses (CS/E.Eng), or higher,
preferably with some background in Security / Operating systems.
- Alternatively, CS students with a focus on cryptography, coding algorithms and mathematics.
- System / embedded coding experience (C, ASM), compiler experience is a plus
- Sufficient skills to work and interact in English
- Good team-working skills
- Students with an interest to do research and explore new challenges.
If you feel this is the work for you, please initiate your application and CV at https://apply.workable.com/huawei-technologies-oy-finland/ We will start interviews immediately when suitable candidates are found, so do not hesitate too long to send in your application!