Note! These instructions are still in progress. We will update this page with detailed instructions on the graduation process at Aalto at some point in early spring 2021. According to Sisu’s implementation timetable, starting from 25 May 2021, all requests for graduation should be submitted through Sisu only.
When can you request graduation?
You have completed the last study attainment needed for your degree
You can submit a request for graduation on Sisu immediately after completing your last study attainment (for example an examination, a thesis or a maturity essay).
Submit the request by going to the degree programme info sheet of the programme you have completed. To go to the info sheet, go to Structure of studies and click on the code of your degree programme. This will take you to the info sheet. The Graduation section contains a Request for graduation button. Start by reading Aalto University’s graduation instructions. Then click the Request for graduation button. It will take you to a request form.
You have completed all studies included in your degree and the status of your personal study plan (HOPS) is ‘parts completed’
If you have completed all studies included in your degree and the status of your HOPS is parts completed, the Structure of studies banner at the top of the page will display a green banner stating that you can submit a request for graduation. In this case, you can apply for graduation through the selection assistant by clicking on the link that says Request for graduation.
How to request graduation
Read Aalto University’s graduation instructions before you request graduation.
- Click the link to read the graduation instructions on Into (https://into.aalto.fi/display/fiopisk/Valmistumisen+hakeminen). You can also find the link to the graduation instructions on the degree programme info sheet: click on the code under the name of the degree programme and select Graduation in the accordion menu.
- After you have read the graduation instructions, click the Request for graduation button. It will take you to a request form.
The request for graduation will first display your personal information which you cannot edit.
- Check that this information is correct.
Next, the information that you have entered as your basic information (My profile → Basic information) will be displayed as your contact information. You can edit your telephone number and secondary address if you need to. Your basic information will be automatically updated accordingly.
- The section Other info contains a text field called Additional info for the graduation request. Use it to provide additional information if you need to. Completed credits that have not been entered into Sisu yet are a good example of additional information that affects your request for graduation.
- In the section Delivery of the degree certificate, indicate whether you would like to pick up your degree certificate at the university or receive it by post.
- If you wish to receive it by post, you can select your primary or secondary address as the delivery address.
- If you are graduating from a Master’s Programme or a doctoral programme, you will be asked if you would like to join the Aalto alumni network and have your personal data forwarded to the alumni register. Check the box if you want to join the alumni network and allow your personal data (name, primary address and secondary email address) to be forwarded to the alumni register.
- To finish, submit your request for graduation by clicking the yes button.
- You will be asked to confirm that you want to submit the request.
- If you are graduating from a Bachelor’s Programme, you will be asked to take the Finnish Bachelor’s Graduate Survey.
- Please, take it immediately by clicking the Continue to the survey button.
- If you would like to take it later, click Not now.
- After you have submitted your request for graduation, you will see a green banner with the text Graduation request submitted, and the status of your graduation request is requested.
- You can also see your graduation request under My profile → Applications and requests.
How to cancel a request for graduation
If you need to, you can cancel your request for graduation, edit it or resubmit it.
You can cancel your request through the degree programme info sheet, the selection assistant or through My profile → Applications and requests.
You can cancel or edit your request for graduation while its status is requested. If the status is in progress, you cannot cancel the request.
If you cancel a request, you cannot reactivate it for processing.
- Open the request for graduation and click on the withdraw request button.
- A new window will pop up, asking you to confirm that you wish to cancel your request for graduation. The window will also remind you that you cannot resend a cancelled request.
- Select Yes, withdraw the application if you wish to cancel your request.
- After you have cancelled your request for graduation, you will see a green banner with the text Graduation request withdrawn, and the status of your graduation request is cancelled.
- You can also see your cancelled graduation request under My profile → Applications and requests.