Coronavirus and teaching in Aalto University
Tips and tools for remote teaching and learning
See Aalto University Information about coronavirus.
Online personal support for teachers
- Teaching Hub on Wednesdays at 12-13: https://www.aalto.fi/en/events/teaching-hub-online-welcome-to-discuss-and-get-help-with-remote-teaching
- New service for teachers: Book an online session with a digispecialist! Get personal help with remote teaching. (Pilot, starting 19.10.2020)
Recordings in Panopto
- Remote teaching webinar session recordings from spring 2020: in Panopto LES Webinars folder (MyCourses, Panopto, Zoom, Stack).
- Full Info sessions in Aalto.fi (log in): https://www.aalto.fi/en/news/for-teachers-webinar-sessions-and-info-how-to-do-remote-teaching
- See also section Other resources on this page for inspiration and extra tips
How to organise exams online
During the time of remote teaching, exams can be organized online, with MyCourses or other digital tools. Exam-system can be used for exam room exams with special arrangements.
- Instructions: MyCourses help: Electronic examinations
- Aalto news: https://www.aalto.fi/en/news/how-to-organise-online-exams-in-mycourses,
in Finnish: https://www.aalto.fi/fi/uutiset/miten-jarjestaa-verkkotentti-mycoursesissa
- Use the MyCourses quiz for online exams. You can also use the MyCourses assignment module to collect assignments (no physical presence needed). Set time limits for exam activities for additional control. Katso myös: Panu Erästön ohjeita Sähköinen tentti MyCoursesilla
- For special cases, check Guidance for remotely proctored exams (in Finnish and English)
- Check attached pdf guidelines and https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/digital-assessment for further guidelines for electronic examinations in Aalto university.
- Exam-room Ok1y339a and Lento are open with special arrengements. Read more
Get Information to students. How to message between students and teachers
- In the Teacher role, use the MyCourses course area to send messages to students. Messages sent via Announcement forum are sent to course participants' email.
- If students need to contact the course Teacher, post a message in Forum in the MyCourses course space, send a personal message in MyCourses, or simply email your Teacher.
An alternative channel of communication for the course is Microsoft Teams. Integrate the Teams channel to your course. Add the Teams block in MyCourses to your course space and add all students to the Teams channel.
Create lecture recordings or store your existing videos for sharing
Do you need to share a video lecture with Powerpoint slides or screen capture?
- Create a Panopto folder for your MyCourses course space and share videos only to course space students
- Record a session with Panopto
- share Panopto session and embed video to MyCourses page
- all Panopto lecture capture spaces on campus. Also Self service studio and Mini Studio with Aalto Studios staff help. (Check the current University corona information page if campus spaces are available).
Have online meetings with student groups or single student
Software installation needed: WIN - MAC instructions
- Use Zoom (https://aalto.zoom.us) if you need to have online meetings with groups or individual students. Find useful tips in the quick guide about Zoom.us in Aalto and Instruction videos for using Zoom
- Create a session in MyCourses or in Zoom and share the link to students via the MyCourses Forum, message or email
- Note! students can use Zoom and Microsoft Teams also as a group without the teacher
Tutor students online
- Create a Zoom session via MyCourses to provide scheduled discussion sessions to students Or you can also create a Zoom one to one session without MyCourses
- Set up a weekly Chat activity into MyCourses course space of use Forum to answer questions
- MyCourses also includes Scheduler for scheduling online meetings with course students
- Give feedback in the form of a video using Panopto.
Get support from services
- See instructions at https://opit.aalto.fi
If you have questions about teaching and do not have a connection to any system, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact us via email
IT Service Desk contact
- Call +358 50 513 2000
- More about opening hours, locations and contact information
- A!Ole, Enabling learning and teaching online in challenging times
- Fitech, beginners guide for moving your teaching online and online learning support materials
- Harvard University, Best Pactices: Online Pedagogy
- Educause online seminar: Transformation in a Time of Crisis: Changing Course Venues in Midstream
- Finnish national agency for Education offers guidance for organising remote teaching(in finnish): https://www.oph.fi/fi/koulutus-ja-tutkinnot/tukea-poikkeuksellisiin-opetusjarjestelyihin and some in english: https://www.oph.fi/en/education-and-qualifications/education-finland-and-coronavirus