This page is a collection of system help and guidelines about Aalto University learning and Student Information systems used by teachers, students and staff.
This page is maintained by the Teacher services. See full contact information in Aalto.fi/teaching
- Hybrid teaching in Aalto University
What is hybrid teaching? Who is it for? What to consider when planning a hybrid session? Get started using our guidance material for hybrid teaching.
- Book an online session with a digispecialist
Book online session with e-learning specialist. Enrol to MyCourses course space and book an online session with a specialist
- MyTeaching Support service is a new service for teachers to pedagogical (and digital pedagogical) support through a single address and request form. The form is also available in your MyCourses course pages.
- Pedagogical training
Do you want to develop yourself as a teacher? Aalto University offers pedagogical courses to support the pedagogical skills of faculty members.
- e-learning system training
MyCourses, Panopto and other digital teaching tool training.
- Producing effective online educational videos Resource page for video production.
- Tips and tools for remote teaching and learning
A collection of information on how a teacher can change courses to remote mode.
- Time-based media (video, podcast) accessibility instructions FI SV
When and why you need subtitles in your media files.
- Lecture recording policy FI SV
Things to know when recording lectures.
- Personal data protection instructions for teachers FI
How to handle data collected from students and courses.
- Copyrights in course materials FI
What kind of material teacher can use and how?
- Guidelines for remotely proctored exams
General system information and webinars
- Aalto Cloud info
Aalto University's evaluations of cloud services.
- Aalto IT Windows Classroom Software List
Aalto IT offers a wide variety of applications for classroom use.
- Webinar recordings from the Teacher Services
Various topics about how to teach online in Aalto including MyCourses Quiz basics, Stack-matematiikkatehtävät, Panopto lecture capture, Digitaalinen tentti MyCoursesissa, Using Zoom with students, etc.
Learning management systems
Homebase for all courses.
- Aalto OpenLearning
Service for Open online courses or MOOCs.
Service for all Aalto users to share ideas. All blogs are public.
Student information system
The student information system.
Flinga whiteboard for collaborative knowledge building and Flinga Wall for collecting and voting ideas.
A tool for instant feedback during a lecture or online session.
Video and online meeting/collaboration
Is it Panopto, Zoom or Teams?
Video service for all Aalto users. Record, store and share your videos and other media files with Panopto.
For online lecturing, meetings, seminars
For teams to share content, chat and talk
- List of lecture-capture spaces
List of spaces that have microphones and cameras installed in the space. These spaces can be used for hybrid teaching too.
- Microsoft Office 365
Teams, Word, Excel and Powerpoint for all Aalto users
- Adobe Connect (Funet)
Group chat organized in streams and topics with LaTex support
Interactive internet text messaging (chat)
- Producing effective online educational videos
Resource page for video production.
Enhance your 2D and 360° images and videos with interactive content.
Learning Assessment and Online Examinations
The EXAM system in use at Aalto University is a modern electronic examination software developed and used by a consortium of Finnish Universities.
- Using MyCourses for examination
Electronic examinations can be done also in MyCourses.
- Rethinking exams- rules and legislation 03/2021 webinar-slides
Streamline grading and feedback in digital and paper-based assignments and exams.
The tool for teachers and students to check the similarity of submitted text compared to text in the comparison database. Turnitin is also available to students during their theses writing process. The tool is available via MyCourses.
- Course feedback
The Course feedback system collects course feedback.
A tool for instant feedback during a lecture or online session.
MyCourses tools to get feedback during a course.
The platform to manage international mobility and partnership processes.
Time management and planning
Space reservations (booking.aalto.fi) and University course planning and scheduling system for Learning Services (LES).
The time-booking system for the staff of LES.
- eAge / Nintex
Electronic services (Sähköinen asiointi) .
- Opi Analyzer
The reporting tool directed towards the specialist staff of Study and Student Services.
- Video Library project
The project's aim is to create a pool of open video lectures
- Digital assessment toolbox- project
- A!OLE, Enabling learning and teaching online in challenging times
- FITech, beginners guide for moving your teaching online and online learning support materials
- Harvard University, Best Pactices: Online Pedagogy
- Educause online seminar: Transformation in a Time of Crisis: Changing Course Venues in Midstream
- Finnish National Agency for Education offers guidance for organising remote teaching(in Finnish): https://www.oph.fi/fi/koulutus-ja-tutkinnot/tukea-poikkeuksellisiin-opetusjarjestelyihin and some in English: https://www.oph.fi/en/education-and-qualifications/education-finland-and-coronavirus
Latest posts in the Opit blog
Artificial-intelligence-based text generators and education
iStock image from Pixabay.
Text-producing artificial intelligence (AI), Chat GPT in particular, has been a hot topic of discussion in the media as well as among teachers and educators the last
Importing Grades from Excel to MyCourses
Excel is a popular tool among teachers for organizing and editing grades. It offers several custom calculation options and is relatively easy to use. MyCourses allows teachers to export grades, but
Best practices for creating engaging online learning videos: Do’s and don’ts
Since the Lumière brothers’ invention of movies in 1895, moving images have been utilized for educational purposes. However, with the advent of technology and the rise of AI-driven platforms like Netflix
From teacher to teacher
Henrik Wallén dives deep into MyCourses’s Gradebook and tells how he uses the calculation feature and the csv file to export final grades to SISU.
How to utilize psychologists´ support for your teaching?
Teachers and programme leaders: did you know that Aalto’s study psychologists and the career counselling psychologists provide support also for teachers? Ask ideas and viewpoints how increase student wellbeing in your
Visualise your lectures using lightboard
A lightboard is a powerful tool for online teaching as it allows instructors to easily create high-quality video content for their students. The lightboard is essentially a transparent board that is
MyCourses’ Calendar updates and fixes
The MyCourses’ Calendar displays not only information about the activities on your MyCourses’ pages, such as assignment deadlines, but it also shows all course events as described on Sisu. Responding to
Get machine-generated captions within seconds for your videos
Besides improved accessibility for people who are deaf or hard of hearing captions on videos increased engagement and watch time, as people tend to watch videos longer when they have captions
Need for a virtual tour or interactive media?
Aalto University is piloting the easy-to-use ThingLink service for creating virtual tours and interactive media.
Present for you from Oasis
Everything starts when we stop.
May you have calmness of mind to look at the trees, the stars, the sky and feel the ground.