Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Aalto students have access to a health insurance which is pre-approved by the Finnish Immigration Service MIGRI and covers all requirements as set out by law. University does not provide health insurance for foreign students. As FSHS (Finnish Student Health Services) only provide basic health care services (and not perform medical operations or have emergency services) please make sure that you have a valid health insurance. The costs of treatment at a hospital may rise to several hundreds or even thousands of euros if you need hospital care and laboratory tests for several days. The university is not responsible for any payments or arrangements.

Insurance that covers the necessary requirements is SIP Marsh (

Note! SIP Marsh also offers an option to extend the insurance (with extra fee) to cover the turist travels (e.g. weekend trips) during the stay in Finland. Otherwise it only covers study related travels.

Other options for insurance coverage

There are other options besides SIP as well. If considering other options, remember to make sure that the insurance fulfills the necessary requirements. You can search for other options e.g. from MIGRI's website (check: Where can I get the health insurance that I am required to have before applying for a residence permit for studies?).  General information on insurance and haelth care in Finland is available at Study in Finland-website as well.

Students from non- EU/EEA countries

 Read more

Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries are required to have valid health insurance already at the time when applying for the residence permit for Finland. This is compulsory requirement for obtaining residence permit for studies lasting more the three months. The same requirement applies for both degree seeking and exchange/free  mover students. Students from Quebec, Canada are exempted from the health insurance requirement.

Health insurance must fulfill certain requirements, depending on the length of your studies in Finland.

  • If your studies in Finland last 2 years or more: your insurance must cover medical expenses up to at least 30,000 euros.
  • If your studies last less than 2 years: your insurance must cover both sickness and accident related medical expenses up to at least 100,000 euros.
  • You must have insurance for your entire stay in Finland. Your insurance must be valid at the time of your arrival in Finland. Take out a one-year insurance policy if you intend to study in Finland for one year or longer. Be sure to renew your insurance prior to expiry.

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland

 Read more

Citizens of EU/EEA-countries are entitled to medical care while staying temporarily in another EU/EEA-country. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) serves as a proof of the entitlement. By presenting the card you can use the services of the municipal health care centres and in case of emergency you are entitled to the same benefits with the same costs as local residents. You should make sure you have the EHIC card with you when arriving in Finland.

It is strongly recommended to have also a private insurance (e.g. SIP Marsh) as an additional security. Please note that the individual systems of the EU countries and practices surrounding the use of the EHIC card may vary.

  • No labels