Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

NOTE! As of 1 January 2017 the Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) will be responsible for accepting applications for residence permits as well as other permits for foreign nationals (including EU-citizens residence registration). Until the end of 2016 applications were submitted to the local police department but from the beginning of 2017 MIGRI will handle all the applications. Read more information from MIGRI's webpages

Registering the residence, EU/EEA citizens

EU-citizens and citizens of Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need the residence permit for Finland but they must apply for a right to reside in Finland, if the studies last for more than three months. EU-citizen's registration is done at the MIGRI's service point in Helsinki (street address: Käenkuja 3 A3). It is advisable to book an appointment well beforehand!

 Read more

Documents required for registering the residence

  • Application form (online form available at service or printable form available at the MIGRI website)
  • Certificate of student status (from the university)
  • Passport/ID-card
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Proof of sufficient funds (e.g. proof of scholarship, bank statements)
  • Fee: €54

It is strongly recommend to submit the application electronically via service. However, a personal visit at Migri service desk with original documents is still required. Make sure to book an appointment to MIGRI well in advance because waiting times are really long.

  • You can use a credit card or Finnish online banking services to pay the application online. You may also pay the application fee when you visit Migri.
  • Note! If for some reason you cannot use EnterFinland-service, you can fill in the printable application form and return it with all required enclosres directly to MIGRI.

Note! You have a possibility to request for Finnish personal id-code in the same time when registering the residence as EU-citizen. It is advisable to request for this id-code since it makes many things easier (e.g. opening a bank account, usage of diginal student card is dependant on Finnish id-code etc.) easier in Finland. If you will get the id-code, please remember to inform also Aalto University Student Services about it.

Registering the residence, citizens of Nordic countries

Citizens of the Nordic countries (Denmark, including the Faroe Islands and Greenland, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) are registered at a Register Office (Maistraatti) if their stay in Finland lasts longer than 6 months.

 Read more about registering your residence as a Nordic citizen
If you plan to stay in Finland for longer than 6 months and you are moving from one Nordic country to another, you must inform  Maistraatti / Magistrate and visit the office to prove your identity. Your details are then transferred electronically from the country of origin to the destination country. If you stay in Finland less than 6 months you can still register at Maistraatti but the move to Finland is considered as temporary by its nature. Please read more information from the webpages of Finnish Maistraatti.

Extension of the residence permit (non EU-students)

Residence permits for studies are usually granted for one year at the time. Remember to apply for extension for your residence permit before your first permit expires. You must submit an application for extension to MIGRI in Finland. Note that extensions can only be applied in Finland, not from abroad. If you are forced to apply for your next residence permit abroad instead of Finland, you will need to apply for a new permit again (not extension).  

 Read more

Application for the residence permit extension can be made electronically via service. However, you will still need to visit at the MIGRI Service point with original documents and to pick up a new residence permit card.

  • Note! If for some reason you cannot use online service you can find a printable application form from the website of Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) and submit all the documents directly to MIGRI.
  • You can use a credit card or Finnish online banking services to pay the application online. You may also pay the application fee when you visit Migri.

Please note that processing times for extension vary quite a lot in different cities, also within Helsinki metropolitan area. Therefore, it is recommended to apply for extension well in advance before your current permit expires (not more than three months before).  However, make sure to book an appointment to MIGRI well in advance because waiting times are really long.  

In order to get the residence permit renewed, you must prove that you are still registered at the university, that ou have still some valid study time left and you have proceeded in your studies (i.e. earned credits). The valid health insurance is also required! You need the following enclosures (MIGRI may also ask for other documents if necessary):

  • Application form (you can use an online application at service or find a printable form from MIGRI's website > studying)
  • Passport and current residence permit card
  • Certificate of student status (from University Student Services prefarably after you have enrolled for an upcoming academic year)
  • Transcript of records (studies must have proceeded)
  • Proof of deposit of €6,720 on your bank account (+ bank statements from the last 3 months)
  • Proof of sufficient funds for a tuition fee (if applicable) or a proof of a tuition fee waiwer
  • One passport sized photograph (no older than 6 months)
  • Proof of valid health insurance
  • Fee: €168

Contacts and more information

Note that as of 1 January 2017 Finnish Immigration Service (MIGRI) will handle all the applications of foreign nationals. You should submit the application for extension to MIGRI's service point in Helsinki (street address Käenkuja 3 A3). Read more here.

MIGRI Service points

Migri contact information

Book an appointment at MIGRI

Information on extension of the residence permit ( service)


If you are intending to stay in Finland for more than a year (regardless of your nationality), you are required to register at Maistraatti (the local register office in the municipality you live in), and register your personal information in the Population Information System. The information registered is used for such purposes as elections, taxation, municipal health care, judicial administration and collecting statistics.

At Maistraatti you can also apply for home municipality if you fulfill the necessary criteria (having a home municipality in a certain city/municipality means that you are considered to live there on a permanent basis). You may also get a personal ID-code if you have not received it before (when applying for a residence permit or when registering as EU-citizen in Finland). Personal id-code is needed e.g. for taxation and may be helpful in many other practical issues, such as opening a mobile phone connection or opening a bank account. Note that if you get any salary / scholarship from Finland, personal ID-code is required to enable payments.

Note that especially for master’s degree students it is necessary to register at Maistraatti in order to be able to purchase a personal travel card for public transportation. (Student discount on travel card is admitted only for those master's degree students who have registered at Maistraatti and been admitted home municipality in the capital area)

Exchange or free mover guest students or double degree students (staying in Finland less than 1 year) are not necessarily required to register at Maistraatti since they have not moved to Finland on permanent basis and thus they are not usually granted a permanent home municipality in Finland. Registration is not needed for this group of students for travel card (local transportation) purposes either. If there is a need for Finnish personal id-code (e.g. taxation) and code has not been issued before (with residence permit application / Eu-citizen's registration by MIGRI), it can be applied at the Maistraatti office.

Home municipality (domicile, municipality of residence)

 Read more

Permanent home municipality (domicile) is granted for those students who fulfill the requirements set by law:

  • Non EU-citizens: studies will last a minimum of 2 years in Finland and the residence permit is valid for at least a year
  • EU/EEA-citizens: studies will last a minimum of 1 year in Finland and the right to reside in Finland has been registered at the local police department

You can collect a document verifying the duration of the studies (Certificate of student status) from Learning Services of your school. You should take your passport / official ID-card with you to Maistraatti as well.

Those who obtain a permanent home municipality in Finland are entitled to use some municipal services, e.g. right to use the municipal health care services in the same way as Finnish citizens. However, some of the other social benefits may require a longer stay in Finland and e.g. a permanent or continuous residence permit.

Personal ID-code (henkilötunnus)

 Read more

The Finnish personal ID-code (i.e. social security number) is a means of identification that is more specific than a name. A foreign citizen is usually issued a personal ID-code if his/her residence in Finland is permanent by its nature or exceeds one year. Persons staying in Finland on a temporary basis can also be issued the code, e.g. for taxation. However, no permanent status is granted for them and therefore they do not have the same rights and benefits as persons who have a permanent home municipality registered for them. When registering at Maistraatti (or within couple of weeks of your registration) you will receive the personal id-code. Remember to inform also Learning Services of your school at Aalto so that your personal ID-code can be updated in the student register.

Note! Non EU-citizens:

Non EU-citizens, who have applied for the residence permit for Finland had a possibility to ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System already at the same time when applying for the residence permit. This way non EU-citizens may already have a Finnish ID-code when arriving in Finland. This helps with many practical things, such as opening a bank account. However, you are not automatically registered as a resident of a certain city when you receive a personal identity code, i.e. you are not automatically given a home municipality. You need a home municipality in order to use the services provided by the city or the municipality, such as healthcare services. To be registered with a home municipality you need to visit your local Maistraatti office in person. This concerns especially students who are staying in Finland for more than one year, it is important to remember you are required to visit at the Maistraatti office personally in order to get your Finnish address and your home municipality registered in the Population Information System.

EU-citizens may ask for the personal id-code when registering their right of residence at MIGRI after arrival in Finland. Remember to inform also Learning Services of your school at Aalto so that your personal ID-code can be updated in the student register.

Contact information of Maistraatti

 Read more

Registration of foreign nationals moving to Finland is processed only in following Maistraatti offices: Helsinki, Porvoo and Tammisaari. Students living in capital area (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa) are advised to visit Helsinki Maistraatti. (Please note that Maistraatti in Espoo does not handle registrations anymore.)

Helsinki Maistraatti

Address: Albertinkatu 25, 00180 Helsinki (in Kamppi area, near Punavuori)
Tel. 0295539391 (switchboard)
Registration of foreigners, tel. 0295536320
Email: /
Office hours: 9:00-16:15

Espoo Maistraatti (does not handle registration for foreign nationals anymore) Visit here only if you have some other business (e.g. marriage)

Address: Itätuulentie 1, 02100 Espoo (in Tapiola area)
Tel. 0295539301 (switchboard)
Office hours: 9:00-16:15

Notification of move

 Read more

You should make a notification of move (muuttoilmoitus) within one week of your arrival in Finland. This can be done by filling out a form available at the Maistraatti office or at Posti (post office). If you will register at Maistraatti, it is easiest to fill out the notification of move at the same time.

Exchange students who move to Finland only on temporary basis do not need to register at Maistraatti, but they must remember to make the notification of move e.g by filling out the form available at post offices. This is to inform Post about your address in Finland.

Remember to make a notification of move also when you leave Finland.

If you later on move inside Finland you should always make a new notification of move. In this case, it is possible to make the notification also by phone tel. +358 295535535 or online (, but this requires online bank ID or an identity card with a chip. You can always use the forms available at post offices and Maistraatti as well.

Please remember to update any changes in your contact information also to the university’s database. You can do this online in the student register system WebOodi.

  • No labels