EDIT: Educational technology development and integration team at the Department of Computer Science, Aalto University
This wiki serves in two information sharing needs: for teachers ath the CS department and other A+ users, and for EDIT team internal needs. Log in to learn more.
- A+ teachers have suggested development ideas for A+ features. The implementation opportunities for each idea have been evaluated, and teachers have voted for the most needed features. The results can be found at Teacher needs spring 2020.
- The A+ development roadmap is available for spring 2020 and will be updated during the last week of May to cover summer 2020 and plans for the coming academic year.
There will be a service break in A+ (plus.cs.aalto.fi) on Monday 15th June 2020 between 9-18! The break starts at 9.00 and ends at the latest at 18.00 (may end even earlier). During the break, A+ and the grader are out of use.
The users are informed when the break is over via this page and via the mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other news summer 2020:
- In addition to the stable production environment plus.cs.aalto.fi used for teaching, there will be a secondary environment used for development testing needs and new course material testing at minus.cs.aalto.fi (not yet available, but will soon be) The aim is that new features are first published in minus.cs, also available for teachers' testing. In addition, when teachers develop their course material, the new material can be tested in minus.cs before publishing at plus.cs
- The release of new versions of A+ are separated from version upgrades; first, the new versions are released, and published at minus.cs, and plus.cs will be upgraded 1-3 weeks after the release
- The responsibility for the server maintenance and version upgrades is moved from EDIT team to CS IT. We appreciate the collaboration!
- Teacher support and training during spring 2020 and especially the Force Majeure situation and remote teaching:
- email support: email@example.com
- Online instructions: (address to be published here)
- A webinar presenting the spring 2020 development projects will be given on Friday 29th May at 9.30-11.30 in Zoom. The recorded presentations are available in this A+ LMS Panopto directory (missing videos will be added in early June).
Release notes (A+ v1.7, June 2020)
- A+ modules (exercise rounds) may be opened for reading before the normal opening time. That is to say, students could read the study materials (chapters) before the exercises are revealed. By default, reading is not allowed before the normal opening time. The new read opening time may be set in the module index RST file in the aplusmeta directive with the new option "read-open-time".
- User search forms in A+ no longer include massive amounts of data that used to significantly slow down the page load time. This affects the edit course page (add assistants form), the edit submitters form in the inspect submission page, the edit student group form used by teachers, and the add student taggings form in the tag management page. The user search is now case-insensitive and users may be searched with their name, student ID, and email. The user search forms now query the A+ API so that the data of the available users need not be stored in the HTML document itself.
- Teachers may enroll students manually in the A+ course instance. This may be useful for adding students who forgot to enroll in time or when the teacher wants to manually control which specific students may access the course. The link for enrolling students is located in the course participants page. Enrolled students may access the course even if they would normally be excluded by the course enrollment audience setting (that is, you could manually add students from outside Aalto to an Aalto-only course).
- Small fixes:
- Submissions in the initialized or waiting for grading states are counted in the total number of submissions that students see in the A+ exercise results page for each exercise.
- When students see warnings about the (late) deadline on top of exercises or in the top of the page in flash notifications, the warning includes the date and time of the deadline. There used to be cases that only showed the date without time.
- In the A+ edit course page, content chapters have links with texts "view content chapter" and "edit content chapter" instead of "view exercise" and "edit exercise" so that it is easier to distinguish chapters from exercises. In addition, the edit course page shows "view submissions" links for exercises again (they got lost due to a bug a long time ago). The word "open" is changed to "view" in order to avoid confusion (from "open module" to "view module").
- Enrollment questionnaires are not affected by the module closing time. The course has its own enrollment opening time settings, thus it never made sense that enrollment questionnaires were also affected by the module closing time (technically, the questionnaire must be placed under some module). Unfortunately, the module opening time still affects enrollment questionnaires and thus, students can not enroll if the module has not opened yet.
- In a-plus-rst-tools, the tag v1.2 will be released soon and it is intended to be used with A+ 1.7. However, older versions work in most cases as well.
Recent space activity